Sunday, September 25, 2011

Movie Costumes

"Was there only one world after all,
which spent its time dreaming of others?"
                         ~Philip Pullman

    I have been working on this post all weekend and I can't wait to show it to you! The sheer volume of photographs that I had to go through was overwhelming! I've narrowed them down though to what you will probably still think is an extravagant amount, but I loved them all! My sister and I went to an exhibit at our local museum this week showcasing costumes from thirty odd films. It was spectacular! We had such a wonderful time and the best part was that I was allowed to bring my camera! I have included a list at the end of the photos of the films these costumes are from (sadly there are two I can't remember). I hope you enjoy looking through them as much as Emma and I did! I have also included a little sketch of my most favorite gown from the Phantom of the Opera...it is the last in the group. Enjoy!







































































Drawing by Jennelise

Portrait of a Lady, Miss Potter, Sense and Sensibility, Jane Eyre, The Duchess, Casanova, ??, Goya's Ghost, Pirates of the Carribbean, Pocahontas, Ever After, The Phantom of the Opera, Finding Neverland, The Golden Bowl, Howard's End, ??, The White Countess, Gosford Park, Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day, Defiance, Sherlock Holmes, Land of the Blind, The Phantom of the Opera.

17 comments:

  1. I wish I could see this exhibition. I just love all the dresses and the workmanship in the making of them. Amazing! A beautiful drawing, it's such a gorgeous gown.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing dresses and I love the details on them.
    I wonder how long it took in the early days, before the machines, to make those elaborate decorated dresses.
    You choose the prettiest dress to draw and it came out so beautiful.
    Hugs,
    Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW !! I'm so glad I subscribe to your blog just last saturday because maybe I would have missed this post ! It's beautiful ! And we only see the pictures. I can imagine what it was like to see these costumes for real. My favorite is the last one, the pink dress and slso the blue and gold one. The red dress is amazing! You always have beautiful pictures, what camera do you use to shoot ?
    Have a nice week !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh ! I forgot ! Your drawing is very beautiful, you are a fine artist.
    Jocelyne

    ReplyDelete
  5. BREATHTAKING!!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog today by the way....xo, Janet

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, wow, WOW!!!!
    These have left me speechless, dear Jennelise!
    Thank you SO much for sharing this...spectacular.
    Love you drawing of the Phantom dress. That one took my breath way!

    Merci et Bonne Journee!
    - Irina

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad that you all liked the photos!! I had so much fun taking them - my sister and I took turns with the camera and I was very happy with how they turned out. It was such a fun afternoon! Thankyou for your compliments on my little sketch - that was definitely my favorite gown! I remember swooning over it when I first saw the film and there are several photos of me eyeing it adoringly at the museum. :) I take my pictures with a Nikon D3100 DSLR camera. It was a birthday present to myself this past May. I saved up and I am very happy with it! Thankyou so much for your comments!
    Jennelise

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely stunning and I love that you posted so many details.
    It's one I'm sure I'll come back to again and again for a dose of beauty!
    These could not be more lovely, thank you for taking the time and editing the photos, I know how much work that is, a true labor of love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Splendide!!!! J'aime particulièrement la robe vert absinthe et jupon rebrodé de fleurs pourpre!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the pictures, but I'd find it more useful if the movie were written right under the pictures. I have difficulty figuring out which costume was used in which movie...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm lost for words.

    Just... :O !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Only few local museums conduct such exhibit so I believe that your local museum is one of a kind! All the dresses are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing your photos. I enjoyed looking and dreaming about making them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh thank you, thank you for such a wonderful and visually stunning blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. All of the dresses are just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete